Research has shown that emotions are contagious and that a leader’s emotions can have a significant impact on a team. As difficult as it may be with the current upheaval in both work and home life that many of us are experiencing, it’s important to stay positive right now so that others will catch your attitude and follow your lead. For help in bolstering your positive leadership presence and resilience, call on a coach for support.
Coaching sessions will allow you to privately sort through your concerns, express and release fears and worries, expand your perspectives, and re-examine your thinking to inform smart planning and application of learning. Coaching sessions can support you in building resilience and self-management skills to position you optimally to navigate the current challenging times. This can strengthen your resilience muscles and support your sustainment over time, both as an individual and a leader of others.
- A key component of resilience is social support. Coaching provides that to leaders who may not have a wide range of social support because they can’t openly share their concerns with staff, peers and sometimes even their bosses.
- When you’re under pressure to make decisions, having a coach can help you consider others’ perspectives and the desired positive impact you want to have on them.
- Thinking outside the box can solve problems, but it requires creativity and innovation, which may not come naturally to everyone, or at least not under duress. A coach can help you tap into your creativity and innovation by asking powerful questions and helping you see things from different angles and perspectives.
- A coach can serve as a sounding board to clarify the messaging you deliver — and the tone — because an overwhelmed or anxious tone will have a ripple effect. Showing and modeling understanding, empathy and flexibility can go a long way to calming and reassuring staff.
- During times like this, self-care is extremely important, yet it may be the last thing on a leader’s mind or list of things to accomplish. Coaching can help you to remember that if you don’t take good care of yourself, you may not be able to take good care of others.
Providing customized strategies to establish and manage boundaries for both you and your remote team members while teleworking is all part of coaching support. Some things your coach can help you think through include:
- Expanding your perspective about how work gets done so that you can continue to advance the mission with your team as best as possible under the circumstances.
- Revamping meeting design, staff engagement, team cohesion and opportunities for team development.
- Remaining focused, motivated and accountable while navigating new barriers and addressing new obstacles.
- Dealing with tough conversations related to continuously changing COVID-19 updates and supporting your team in an anxious climate.
- Increasing self-awareness of your own challenges and identifying new mindsets and practices to manage more effectively.
- Taking on increased stress in the system to provide top coverage for staff so that they can focus on execution.
- Keeping connected with staff in meaningful ways and keeping a finger on the pulse of the team to provide the right amount of support.
Individual Coaching And Team Coaching
Suntiva’s one-on-one coaching can help you as an individual leader. You might also consider some team coaching right now, which can be especially helpful for leadership teams who need to work together in new ways, through new mediums and challenges, to collectively collaborate and advance the organization. It can help the leadership team to build cohesion across the team when many are feeling disconnected. Team coaching can also support team members to increase empathy towards each other and their staff. During times of stress in a time of unprecedented uncertainty, when people are working hard and putting in extra hours to get everything in place, conflict can arise and prevent successful navigation of challenges. Team coaching for leaders and/or staff members can help refocus everyone on productive ways to work together, support each other, think creatively and innovate when it’s needed most. So, if you have a Suntiva coach, tap into that resource now. Or, if you’d like coaching for yourself or your team, contact us today.